The section has two main laboratories viz; Geochemical and Environmental Laboratory for analysis of rocks, soils, waster and other sample from mainly the mineral exploration sector. The laboratory is equipped with modern instruments including Atomic Absorption Spectrometers (AAS) with Graphite Furnace, Inductively Coupled Plasma Optical Emission Spectrometry (ICP-OES), X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF), UV/VIS Spectrophotometer etc
The instruments provide useful analytical data for samples from metals, rocks, soils, minerals, fish and other environmental sample such as vegetables, tea leaves etc. The laboratories are also capable of analyzing a broad range of water quality parameters for water (both surface water and groundwater) and wastewater along with sewage as follows
- Isotopes using ICP-MS
- Major ions with AAS, ICP-OES.
- Heavy metals using AAS, ICP-OES.
- Electrical Conductivity (EC) using Conductivity Meter
- Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) by Gravimetric Method.
- Dissolved Oxygen (DO) by Oxi 330i Meter.
- Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD) by the calculation from BOD results.
- Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD) using Oxitop Manometric BOD measuring devices after 5 days incubation.
- Alkalinity, Salinity, Total Suspended Solids (TSS) and Total Hardness (TH) using Titrimetric Method.
- Oxidation-Reduction Potential (ORP), pH, Ammonia, Chloride, Lead, Fluoride, Cadmium, Cyanide, Phosphates, Sulphates, Nitrates, Nitrites, Turbidity etc using Portable photometer (pHotoFlex/Turb)
Sample analysis using XRF Machine
|Geochemical sample testing with AAS|
Moreover, the department offers consultancy services and training to Chemists, Geochemists, Technicians, Environmentalists, and Professionals who wish to acquire hands-on skills on analyses and instrumentation for capacity building. The trainings also fit laymen people who are interested in acquiring basic knowledge in geochemical and environmental materials. The training courses offered by the depatment include:
- Field Sampling Techniques for Geochemical Analyses
- Sample Preparation Techniques for Geochemical Analyses
- Spectrometric Methods
- Analysis of Gold and Other Precious Metals
- Laboratory Environmental Technologies.
- Modern Laboratory Management Methods
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) on Mining and Water Projects
- Small scale miners, medium scale exploration companies, institution engaged in the protection of environment and all others in mineral trade.
- People interested in expanding knowledge in chemical analysis of geological materials, environmental samples and other related materials.
Charles Buteta (MSc, BSc, Certificates in different analytical techniques) - 13 years’ experience in chemical analysis of various geological and environmental materials along with research and publication.
Edwin Gowele (BSc, Certificates in different analytical techniques) - Chemist and has more than 20 years experience in analysis of geological materials.
Gerald Niyukuri (Diploma in Laboratory Technology, Certificates in different analytical techniques) - Laboratory technician and has vast experience in assaying, AAS, ICP-OES and other analytical methods.